Saturday 21 March 2015

Current Obsession: Martina Thornhill Ceramics



 Martina Thornhill is a self taught ceramic artist based in Portland, Oregon and her beautiful work is my current obsession! Her beautiful hand built mugs are not only beautiful but actually large enough for a proper cup of tea or coffee (why do so many people make small mugs?)!

I personally am a bit obsessed with the sleepy eye pour over and the eye mug...

Martina Thornhill : Striped Mug

"I create slab built functional vessels from my home studio, using inspiration from nature, flea market treasures, primitive folk crafts, abstract art and cross country travels. Drawing on my background in fiber arts, I approach ceramics from a different perspective. Treating my clay like fabric I develop patterns, fuse seams, and use my hands to create drape and flow.

Clay bodies are chosen for the texture they bring to the piece and for their raw color contrast against glossy glaze patterns. These methods allow me to create production pieces that still maintain a sense of individuality and personality. It is important to me that each piece is unique in the way it sits on the table, or fits in the hand regardless of how many I've made. For me, my craft is about more than my methods and the objects I create. It is about curating a vision that takes into account my experiences and inspirations, and finds a connection in the homes and hearts of others. It is about slowing down and making every day objects special instead of disposable."

4 comments:

Victoria said...

ooohh how nice. I'm loving the eye mug too!

Take a look at my post on Ceramicist Shino Takeda's work. I think you might like it:)

http://rusticboheme.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/ceramics-shino-takeda.html

Heather said...

I do like quirky clay cups with glaze! x

megaaaaann said...

Ooh I love these! The eye mug is awesome! Thanks for introducing me to Martina's work :)

Meg, Optical Intake

Joanna DeVoe said...

LOVE it!